Thursday, November 18, 2010

(Not) Funeral Card Friday - Konrad Flasch 1897


This is the oldest funeral card I have in my collection.  My mother-in-law gave me several photo albums of funeral cards.  I spent the better part of a week removing them from the album they were in, scanning them and then placing them in an archival safe album.  

I originally thought this was a funeral card for Konrad, but was told that it was actually a card in remembrance of the first mass he gave at St. Kilian's Church, Wisconsin on July 8, 1897.  He died in 1933. * The card is pretty extraordinary.  Very delicate and has held up fairly well considering its age.  I'm certain that Konrad was important to my mother-in-law's side of the family.  I don't know yet if he was related or if he was just a friend or important community figure.  I look forward to the journey!  When I kick the sicky-icky cooties that have invaded my house, I'll have to spend some time going through the newspaper articles she gave me as well and see if I can find any members of the Flasch family.  I know I have a treasure in these cards and newspaper clippings.  It's a great puzzle to put together!

Until that time, however, pass the tissues and hand me my cup of tea!....sniff

*Thank you John Uhlman for letting me know about the card and his death year! You can view his FindAGrave memorial set up by John with a great photo of him here.

5 comments:

  1. Wow - that is really gorgeous. Very intricate.

    Hope your household gets better soon - we've been fighting it here as well. What a joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is quite nasty! To the point of not having been able to blog yesterday! It does seem to be going around. The best to you and yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely funeral card. It is a truly unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm - An archival safe album? Like the pages they use for baseball cards? I ask because that is how I started my research 20 years ago. I had kept all the funeral cards in the prayer book I had gotten when I made my first communion. Unfortunately of course my collection has increased... I also acquired my mom's when she passed.... Would love to find some other member of the family this way... Even some in the Hazleton area. Get better soon, you don't want to be sick for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, not like the baseball card holders :). I actually used scrapbooking materials to include photo corners for easy removal. I like that idea though!

    ReplyDelete